Friday, April 04, 2008

Comfort Books

I've been sick for almost three days. Fever. Stomach ache. And a constant head ache. Maybe it's exhaustion. I don't know. As usual, I still worked, while sick, until this morning. This morning I came home around 11 a.m., crawled in bed, and have been sleeping and reading all day.

I started reading Waiting for Normal around 1 p.m. and I'm almost finished. Hunkering down in bed with such a wonderful book feels just like getting warm milk and toast prepared for my sick body by my gentle mom. So comforting.

In fact, reading it is much more pleasant than being on the internet, so, I'll just say this: it's realistic fiction. The main girl character is 12 and her life is sad and poor, but she's blossoming anyway.

Also, I started Painting the Wind, by Pam Munoz Ryan, and it was so good I didn't want it to end, so I stopped after about six chapters. And so now I'll have even more comfort reading for later this evening.

4 comments:

Mary Lee said...

So sorry you're (or hopefully by now -- have been) sick, but hooray for some bibliotherapy! Better than antibiotics and with GREAT side effects!

Can't wait to hear what you thought of Painting the Wind. I love love LOVED it.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you are sick. I love books. Your heading caught my eye. I am an author, a writer and reading consultant. "I teach teachers." I just started a new blog. I read yours frequently. I post a new writing lesson daily at:
www.debrennersmith.com I have read all your book blessings and already spent a ton of money at amazon from your descriptions. I will mention your blog in my trainings! You have the book blessing down pat! deb

debrennersmith said...

oops I left the last comment and did not mean to post it anonymous. Sorry!

Camille said...

Ohohohohohoh, I LOVED Paint the Wind. Pam Munoz Ryan and I have some interesting geographical links. In Esperanza Rising, the mother is hospitalized in the same hospital I was born in and where my dad was treated for polio.

I lived for several years in a town right next door to Pasadena, Calif.where Paint the Wind begins. I knew the neighborhood where the grandmother lived and my dad's family hails from Wyoming and lives in the Wind River basin. they spent summers working at the family ranch and riding, riding, riding.

I love her books.