Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Goodreads

My sister-in-law is also a kid lit aficionado and her biggest critique of this blog is that I don't write more negative reviews. I totally get it. Negative reviews are much more fun to write and more entertaining to read.

For this space, however, I simply want to share books that I think are worth sharing. I'll sometimes qualify my positive assessment of a book or specify an audience that I think will enjoy a particular book, but I don't slam or hate on books here, at all. The book blurbs here serve two main purposes: a resource where fellow teachers can come to browse some excellent titles, and a catalog for me, so that I can remember enough about a book to talk it up to my students.

I abandon lots and lots of books. If I don't get sucked in quickly, I usually don't finish books. I also, however, sometimes, read books that I don't like. I also read lots and lots of books that I just don't get around to writing about here. That's why I've totally fallen in love with Goodreads. It's a great way to keep track of ALL the books I've read and over there I write negative and more critical reviews. Each book gets 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 stars and my stars and blurbs over there are more about what I really think. The other great thing about Goodreads is that it's a social networking site, so you can see what your friends are reading and make comments and join book groups, according to your interests. Lots of good book fun, and not just for kid lit lovers.

3 comments:

Megan Germano said...

I want to be your friend on Goodreads. Friend me. :)
http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDYxNjc4Mjg6MzIx%0A

Megan Germano said...

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say, YOU'vE BEEN TAGGED for a MEME! ;)
http://5thgradereads.blogspot.com/2008/03/passion-quilt.html

Tina said...

Hi. I look forward to reading about the bad books on Goodreads.
Tina