Saturday, January 12, 2008

TRIPLE 8 CHALLENGE

I really hate new year's resolutions and goals and such. I've just never been a very goal driven kinda gal. I love working hard to puzzle out interesting problems, but I hate diets, Stephen Covey, and self-help books. My book-related goals for the summer ended with a shrug, an "oh well, I tried" and a C-.

BUT--I am still a human and feel some weird thrill when looking up a steep slope. I read about this cool challenge out there in cyberspace somewhere. To read 8 books in 8 different categories in 08. The Triple 8 Challenge. I'm not going to officially enroll in the on-line challenge. I can't even remember how I happened upon it. But I'm going to do it---challenge myself to complete the 64 books before the calendar flips to 09. I like how it'll push me to read in new genres and broaden my repertoire of good choices for all my student readers. In addition to reading all the books, I'm also gonna try to write here about at least two of them from each category.

So, here are my 8 categories:
Kid Fantasy, Professional Development, Popular Kid Series, Picture Books, Graphic Novels, Science Non-Fiction (kid or adult), Sports Novels, and YA.

I know there is potential cross-over between my categories, but I don't want to double count any books. I have some ideas about some of the books I want to read, but I'd also love suggestions. And if this challenge sounds fun--let's do it together. Leave a comment. Join in!

Happy New Year, everyone.

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sounds like a cool challenge.

Here are some suggestions:

YA: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
The Faeries of Dreamdark by Laini Taylor

Science Non-Fiction for kids:
The Giants of Science Series by Kathleen Krull.

Good luck!