Monday, January 14, 2008

And the winner---was on my DESK!

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! by Laura Amy Schlitz was sitting on my desk at school this morning with a stickie note on it that I'd wrote that said, "For Middle Ages unit." My student teacher is planning a sixth grade Middle Ages unit soon and I'd bought this book for us off of some highly reliable rec, that I can't remember now, so that she'd have at least one good book to work with for that unit. I'd trusted whoever rec'd the book, and I skimmed through enough of the poems to see that it was indeed strong writing, good information, and would make a nice resource. I was totally surprised, though, to get a text message from my library sister in Philly this morning, as I was driving to work, that said this book just won the Newbery . So, I haven't, in fact, read the darn book, but I did buy it! And was planning to use it with my students. So there ya have it.

I wish I had a better system for remembering or recording recommendations. I'd really like to know right now who I trusted enough to buy that book, skipping my usual library filter.

No comments: