Saturday, November 10, 2007

How To Steal A Dog, by Barbara O'Connor

This book is the most recent addition to my classroom library. The issue of homelessness, which effects the lives of about 15 percent of my students, is taken up in this story in very careful and thoughtful ways. Georgina, her brother, and her mom are living out of their car. Georgina finds herself plotting to steal a dog in order to secure the 500 dollar reward that would help her family get into an apartment.

There's nothing that perks my interest in particular titles like the fact that real life kids are choosing them. After I get back from the NCTE convention in NYC I'm planning to submit a "kid picks" article to The Edge of the Forest, a monthly children's literature e-zine. I hope that feedback from my class of readers will provide other folks with some valuable information.

I hope Broadway isn't closed down next weekend. I'm supposed to go see Wicked with my brother on Saturday night.

1 comment:

mhoffmeyer said...

im in the middle of the book. but it is very good so far!!!!