Sunday, September 16, 2007

While We Wait for Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Part II...

There's this teacher who calls herself the "book whisperer" who has written a great series of articles about the art of hooking kids on books. Highly recommended reading. She works with kids near the same ages as my students and I've already requested several of the books she recommends. I can't wait for the list of 13 books you must read before you turn 13, which will be part of this week's installment.

If I could ask this fabulous teacher a question, here's what it would be: What do you do when a kid loves a book SOOOOO much, that they have trouble with all future books not measuring up? This is starting to happen to several of my boys who loved Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and I'm a little worried about the same phenomena with a few of the girls and the fact that they've already found their "best book I've ever read" favorites. The truth is, I don't know of any other books that are JUST LIKE Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but I am going to see if I can't get them excited about something different, but also funny, with the following booktalks on Monday: Sahara Special, No Talking, Whales on Stilts, Gilda Joyce, Psychic Investigator, and Diary of a Fairy Godmother. Even if they aren't the same as Diary of a Wimpy Kid, they all have great characters and lots of humor.

I just relized something else interesting about this situation: this is an issue that I have, as a reader, as well. I might spend the whole rest of my life searching for a book that I love as much as The Brothers K. But even if I never find another book that's THAT good, I'm still glad I found it in the first place, and I still find lots and lots of ways to enjoy my life as a reader.

No comments: