Friday, September 14, 2007

A Standing Ovation

Yesterday afternoon I started to feel a cold coming on around 4:00. By 5:30 I had a fever and a headache and was very congested. I knew I had to get home and rest. As I was leaving Washington I passed by the gym. I looked in and saw about 25 upper grade students sitting on the top step that leads up to the stage. They are sitting so quietly, I thought, yet there isn't an after school teacher in sight. I walked in to say "Hi."

All the sudden about twelve of them saw me and started saying things like, "Hey, Look! It's Ms Simbe." Esteban stood up and said, "Let's hear it for the best teacher in the school." Most of them, even the ones that I don't even know well, stood up and started clapping and cheering. My face suddenly felt hot and red, but not because I was sick. I was so embarrassed by their sudden flattery. A few tiny tears tickled my eyelids (which I hid quite well) Their ovation turned me from feeling very rotten to very wonderful in a very short span of time.

And that, my friends, is my own "seed story" for my personal narrative writing. I've been assigning my class, for the last few nights to be story magnets, to look for stories everywhere. I've been trying to do the same thing and it was quite sweet and perfect to be able to share this particular story with them today.

No comments: