Sunday, August 19, 2007

LAST DAY OF SUMMER

Oh bother. Tomorrow is my first day back to work and I only just started to figure out how to really enjoy the lazy pace of summer. I'm this super fanatical type A type person who thrives on stress and routine. The hardest part of the teaching profession, for me, is summer vacations. I have a hard time figuring out what to do with all that time. But in the last three weeks, or so, I started to really enjoy my empty canvass days and relish the time with my kids. And now, it's over. For nine and a half months. Oh well.

Summer goal update: I didn't write 20 new booktalks. But I wrote 15, and that's, like, a C--which, ever since my freshman year of college, I've been able to call "good enough." The important thing, here, is that I'm gonna actually do lots and lots of booktalking this school year. I've got over 30, including my own original 15, printed and pasted into a notebook. After I finish performing those, I think I'll be able to cut back on the need for a fully developed script. I'm hoping I'll be able to just make them up as I go along. This strategy has never worked in the past, so I'll still need to have a good hook written down, I'll need to have read the book myself recently, and I'll need to choose a specific passage to read out loud. With these three things in place, though, I think I'll get to where I can perform them off the cuff. I'll keep y'all updated on this effort as the school year progresses.

Summer goal update 2: read through Lucy Calkins' units of study and keep a writer's notebook. Check and Check. I did an outstanding job on this goal and feel lots of confidence about entering writing workshop from the stance of "fellow writer". I can't wait to work alongside my students as we all continue to grow as writers.

I can't remember any other big goals this summer. I got all three of my kids to read a lot, all summer. I spent a lot of time with siblings and relatives. I'm not pregnant, yet, but I'm still not worried about that fact. And, as already mentioned, I got to a place where I was able to enjoy my unstructured down time.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Oh my gosh,
That is EXACTLY the way I used to feel as the date for my return to the library loomed. I loved my calling as a full time school librarian but it used to take me the entire month of June just to stop referring to myself in the third person.

July was always the month for getting things finished and it seemed like I was just beginning to have a few days of summer to enjoy as SUMMER when it was time to go back to work.