I can see how writing gratitude lists could become a trite endeavor, particularly if it's somehow "forced". But, for me, this daily exercise is still a joyful way to hold up specific, tiny gifts from the heart of the universe and offer a brief but sincere thank you. Here's my list for today:
1. lightly salted cashews
2. casual conversations about high school and The Lord of the Rings, with my fifteen-year-old daughter.
3. calcium enriched, fresh orange juice
4. another whole day to spend at home, relaxing with my kids (we've only got about 7 more...)
6. the friendly, patient librarians and workers at the Day Riverside branch.
7. Gwen, the best secretary on Earth, who works with me at Washington Elementary.