Friday, August 17, 2007

A Dream Come True

Feminist Mormon Housewives, a pretty widely read blog in Mormondom, published an essay I wrote! I have no idea how many submissions they receive, or how excited I should be, but who cares? I'm just gonna do a happy dance and state, emphatically, for the record in the sky, that yes, I have been published.

To further the story I started over there--the true story of the arrival in America of my adopted daughters, here is one small snapshot from those first few weeks.

Title: Easter's Very Loud Tantrum

"No, Mom! I refuse! I refuse!" Easter screamed pounding her firsts on the water. This outburst was Easter's response to my request that she get out of the small apartment swimming pool, which we were enjoying with her two sisters, less than two weeks after their arrival in the U.S. In the morning Easter had pleaded, passionately, "Please, Mum, never before did I swim in my WHOLE life."

I walked to the edge of the pool, grabbed her skinny black arm, and hoisted her light body onto the poolside cement. I wrapped her in a towel and started buckling on one of her white sandals, ignoring her blood-curdling yelps and flailing arms.

"I'm sorry," I said, "but it's time to go." Suddenly she kicked off her shoe, wriggled out of her towel, and leaped back into the pool. "I refuse, I refuse, I refuse," she screamed as she splashed away from me.

I looked in desperation at Harriet and Clara, who sighed knowingly and climbed in after her. Between the three of us we eventually got her out of the pool and into the car. She didn't stop kicking, punching, and screaming until we were driving away.

Throughout her entire tantrum I kept my cool. Thank you, god, for that student of mine named Alvin, I muttered, who almost caused me to quit teaching, but who prepared me for this moment. As we were driving home, I said, "Easter, when I told you to get out of the pool, you screamed and refused. Because of the choice you made we can't go swimming again for three days. I'm so sorry. You enjoyed yourself so much today, but now we have to stay home tomorrow. I know next time you will make a much better choice---to quickly obey and not misbehave."

So, we didn't swim for three days. But after that we swam almost everyday, all summer. And I know how lucky I am, and that it sounds way too good to be true, but that was Easter's first and only tantrum in the two years since her arrival.

3 comments:

Megan Germano said...

Beautiful story and congratulations to you!

Becky..Absent Minded Housewife said...

I enjoyed your story as well.

I like listening to Dr. Laura yell at people. It makes my housework go so much faster during the day.

Ms. Lowser said...

Amy:

one of my very favorite professors at the University of Utah wrote a book about the ERA and a history of feminism in Utah...you should totally check it out.

It is called Pedestals and Podiums by Martha Bradly.

Anne