Monday, August 13, 2007

Cryptid Hunters, by Ronald Smith

What if animals like big foot and the Loch Ness Monster are real, but only a handful of super-adventurous scientists know about them? Grace and Marty are twins attending a boarding school in Switzerland. Their parents disappear in a helicopter crash in South America and so they are sent to live with their mysterious Uncle Wolfe. The twins quickly discover that their uncle is a cryptid hunter: a man who discovers mythic creatures, those animals that most people believe are just stories. Within a few short days Grace and Marty are swept up into an adventure in the jungles of Africa. There are signs that a real live dinosaur species is alive, hidden in the remote areas of the Congo.

But Uncle Wolfe isn't the only scientist searching for the dinosaur. His nemesis is a ruthless, trophy-hunting millionaire who doesn't care that Grace and Marty are only 13.

What I liked about this book: I got swept up in the adventure--which includes great chapter cliffhangers, narrow escapes, and surprising plot twists. I also like the character development of both Grace and Marty.

Hey, I only have 5 booktalks left now, to achieve my summer goal of writing 20. And, technically, I have all the way until August 28th. I'm so gonna make it.

No comments: