Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Down Girl and Sit; Smarter Than Squirrels, by Lucy Nolan

Sometimes an author writes a story from the point-of-view of a character who very obviously doesn't know everything that the readers know. As I read the first chapter of this book, keep in mind that the dog who is telling the story understands things from a dog's point-of-view. Pick out some examples of things that we, the readers, understand better than the narrator.

Read Chapter 1

Discuss. One result of this POV: humor.

Some of my kids who are bilingual will need this extra explicit support to understand the tongue in cheek humor of this deceptively simple book. But once they finish this book and its sequel, On the Road, they will be well on their way towards understanding the narrative structure of Huck Finn. Do kids still read Huck Finn in high school? I hope so.

BTW: that's my 13th original booktalk. Only seven more to go to reach my summer goal. And I've linked to several, as well. I should have enough ready to go that I won't have any excuse not to do at least two a day until October. And by then my students ought to be able to contribute to the effort as well. A fact I'd rather not admit: this will be my first year that I am planning to earnestly engage in the difficult art of effective booktalking.

1 comment:

Megan Germano said...

Thank you so much for the kind comment. I am so glad to be introduced to your blog, I will continue to visit.