Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Money, Money, Money

We get nine hundred dollars per year for all of our classroom supplies. Ask me where 80 percent of that money goes every year. Yep, you guessed it: books, books, books. And the situation next year is particularly dire; eighty percent of nine hundred is going to come up soooooooo short. Here's the problem: Two years ago I taught all of Washington's fourth graders. This year I taught half the fourth graders and half the fifth graders. Next year I'll be teaching half the fifth graders and half the sixth graders. The bottom line here is that we have a very small population of kids at Washington, Jen and I have taught fourth, fifth, and sixth grade three years in a row, and so we've absolutely exhausted our supply of class sets, literature sets, and favorite read aloud picture books. We've got nothing left for those sixth graders who will have been in one of our classes for THREE YEARS IN A ROW.

I can't complain too much. I've been dying to teach sixth grade ever since I started teaching. And I still think it's going to be tremendous fun. BUT--we've already read The Bad Beginning, Number the Stars, The Lightning Thief, The Birchbark House, The Key Collection, Holes, Out of the Dust, Gooseberry Park, Ribsy, Becoming Naomi Leon, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and The Tale of Desperaux. It's not that there aren't hundreds of fantastic books left to read, it's just that they're not books our school owns class or small group sets of, u c?

But every year, right around this time, there's always a surprising surplus of money that must be spent right away. So, in an effort to prevent a misguided waste of money that might be well spent on great books, I'm starting a wish list. Right here.

Wish List:
The Sea of Monsters
Harry Sue (I just saw this is out in paper back! But I have to hurry and reread it, check out the content--do I think it's appropriate for school??)
Rickshaw Girl
All of the Above
The Islander
The Adventures of Odysseus
Sahara Special
Bud, Not Buddy
Here Be Monsters
So B. It
Bloomability


Okay-that's a start.

No comments: