Sunday, April 22, 2007

Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars

All these bloggers in the kidlitosphere are just wrapping up a raging debate about professional reviews vs. blog reviews. Read Roger, a high ranking fellow at Horn Book had some interesting questions and lots of the bloggers that I regularly read squirmed a bit, but then rallied and articulately defended the borders of their kid-lit-planet. What the whole debate has helped me realize, though, is that as a tiny little satellite of said planet, I am so far removed from the actual land of the kid-lit-blog world, that I have the luxury of making my blurbs about books here as casual as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. What I'm saying is that ASK AMY has no actual readership, that I know of, and I don't really want or need one. Nobody's sending me any free books to review, I'm an introvert anyway, even in cyberspace, and while I find a comment or two, once in a while, pleasantly surprising, I'm also happy orbiting kid-lit-land in quiet solitude. As stated in my little banner at the top, this blog is for me, and maybe for a few colleagues that I know personally, and that's really it. It's simply an extension of my "books read" lists, that I keep for my own reference. And so, I can be as brief, or as long-winded, as I deem necessary when I write about any particular book. Take today's gem, Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars, for example. What do I want to remember, someday, about this book? Well, that I liked it quite a bit, which is why it made it on to this blog in the first place. And I want to remember that the poems have fun rhymes, true facts, and are pretty short. And finally, I think lots of kids, even sixth graders, would enjoy this book. That's pretty much it.

1 comment:

cloudscome said...

I am with you- I just want to blog about the books so I can remember them!