Saturday, March 10, 2007

Moon Called, by Patricia Briggs

Wow! I haven't ever found fantasy stuff that's NOT written for elementary aged kids, that I've really enjoyed. Which has always been rather frustrating, cuz I like lots of children's fantasy books, and I love the Lord of the Rings movies. I've always wanted to enjoy more adult fantasy. Moon Called is marketed as a YA fantasy book, but it was "old" enough to keep me very engaged. I'm glad I didn't judge it by its cheesy cover, though. The main character and first-person narrator Mercy isn't a wimpy sex object. She's this powerful, smart shape-shifter whose other form is a coyote. The setting is contemporary Washington state. There are gremlins, werewolves, vampires, and other magical creatures---all well crafted and believable. The plot is a fast moving mystery/thriller, with Mercy connecting all the characters and action. Fun, good, sexy read.

1 comment:

David said...

i think i would like to read this one... do you still have it?