Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Meme

1. What is the thing that most surprises you about being a grown-up?

When I was a kid, the part about being a grown-up that I worried about most was the financial responsibilities. I worried, even as a beginning college student, that I wouldn’t make enough money for a house, a car, etc. It’s not easy, of course, but this part of being an adult is surprisingly manageable.

2. What do you miss most about being a kid?

Friends and siblings. I miss the way we had lots of secrets and how we loved to invent new games and new worlds. I miss the unfinished basements, empty houses, and secluded hedges that were our hide-outs. I miss the protective shell of a tight group of kids who loved playing together and who always looked out for each other.

3. What do you look forward to in being a senior?

Hours and hours of reading and card games. Learning to play bridge.


4. What stories do you think your kids will tell their children that they have heard from you?

I think the way I tell stories is something Easter has already picked-up. She does dramatic character voices and exaggerated narrations that remind me of me. "The TV turns human brains to mush" is a saying I’ve already heard them quote. I hope they learn The Cheerios Mouse by heart, and tell it to their own children one day. That will make it a four generation story.

5. If you could put a children’s author and an illustrator together to work on an e-book for fifth graders, who would you choose and why? (They get to write the story and design the artwork as a team.)

Karen Hesse, who writes amazing prose and poetry, and Kadir Nelson, whose art I adore. I’d let them come up with the rest—the plot, characters, setting, etc. Although, if I could give a little direction, something connected to some piece of American History would fit the fifth grade core and would be well within the scope of both these creators’ talents.

4 comments:

cloudscome said...

Hey! Where'd you find this meme? I think I sent these questions to Mother Reader and started it...? I was doing an interview meme and she asked me for questions and I made these up. Did you see it on her blog? LOL I can't believe I am seeing my own words on your blog and this is the first time I've been here! LOL

cloudscome said...

And I meant to say I love your answers!

amy said...

well I guess I owe a rather embarassed thank you for stealing your nice questions and using them for writing prompts---although, I guess that's exactly what makes something a meme!

cloudscome said...

You are absolutely right! It is a little thrill to me to see someone else wanted to answer those questions. It makes me smile to see something I did passed on in the blog world. I miss the closeness of my brothers and sisters too, as we had a wonderful childhood together. And I want to see Karen Hesse and Kadir Nelson work together too!