Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Adventures of Odysseus, by Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden

Odysseus leaves Ithaca to fight in the brutal Trojan War, but it is on his return journey that he endures a series of harrowing ordeals and adventures. This telling of the epic journey is full of strong, poetic language and paints the story in rich, vibrant detail. I've never read the original epic, so I can't say with certainty, but the details and tone all seem to be very much in keeping with the ancient tale. I would love to couple a whole class reading of this book with the Percy Jackson books in a sixth grade classroom. There's some pretty gruesome, violent images, but nothing sixth graders can't handle. I wish I had read this at the same time I read Edith Hamilton in 12th grade. The storytelling is much better, here.

No comments: